My daughter Lily turns six on Monday and for the past few weeks, she’s had a paper chain that she made to help her count down the days. Isn’t that cute? I do the same thing. Three weeks from yesterday, Robin and I leave on a trip to Hawaii. I’m counting down the days. Eight weeks from now (give or take a week), we’ll close on our new house and move in. I’m counting the days. And while I don’t have a paper chain, I do have an iPhone app called “Days Until” that I can enter important dates and know how many days until that event. It’s kind of fun and less messy than a paper chain.
I think anticipation makes life more exciting and enjoyable. It’s so fun to have something to look forward to, whether it’s a vacation, the arrival of a new baby or some other important event. A few events that I can remember counting down the days include:
- My mission call to Brazil in 1993 (I had to wait 24 hours from when it first came in the mail because my dad and brothers were on a scout camp; those were the longest 24 hours of my life)
- Our wedding day (and night) in 1997 🙂
- The birth of our first child in 1999 (he was late, as were all our children so our anticipation was heightened)
- The release of the final Lord of the Rings movie (saw it opening day)
- The release of the final Harry Potter book (I was there at midnight wearing a black robe – seems kind of silly now)
And now we’re anxiously waiting for our house to be completed. We’re counting the days and trying not to get too impatient. We’ve wanted this for a few years now, and it’s finally becoming a reality. Thankfully, our builder is very good and work on the house has been progressing steadily. There’s something new every time we visit and it’s amazing to think that just one month ago, it was just a foundation. Now the drywall and mudding/taping is done, the roof and windows are on and they will begin flooring and cabinets next week. Work on the exterior (brick and stucco) should begin soon as well. Just 56 more days!!